Sunday, July 19, 2009

Vitruvian






I have been collecting these sculptures that when I show them to most people they find them eerie and creepy. However I believe that many of them mimic Ancient Roman body sculpting. In the case of the kissing the hand and blowing the kiss sculptures I find these to show Romance that has been lost to our generation. The type of romance and chivalry demonstrated by these gestures seems to be in a different era. I consider it a lost romance because these gestures have been done away with and replaced with so much forwardness and vulgarity. These sculptures represent a time when courting was dreamlike as well as a fantasy come true. This time of Romance can be frozen and held on the sculptures faces forever and even serve as a reminder of a romantic encounter during our life as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment